Leith Hill, Dorking, Surrey RH5 6JZ
(Note Postcode is area only, and covers the few properties in area)
||30 miles from central London
|Nearest major route: A25 between Dorking and Guildford
||Nearest station: Dorking (5 miles)
- From Dorking take the A25 and after going through Westcott, you will climb a hill to Wotton with “The Wotton Hatch” pub on your left.
From GUILDFORD, approx two miles from Abinger Hammer, pub on righ.
- Turn left, a sharp corner, immediately before the pub [from Guildford, right after the pub] and follow the minor road (Sheephouse Lane) for about 1¼ miles. It is very narrow, bends a lot and has steep sections and then passing places.
- Take the turning on the left signposted to Broadmoor and Heman Bunkhouse.
- Go downhill and after a further ½ mile you will come to a couple of tracks leading off to the left as the road bends to the right opposite some stables.
- Take the second track. There is a small sign “Private – Henman Basecamp” and specific other houses.
- Follow this (bumpy) track for about ¼ mile until you come to a Y junction with a cottage on the left, and notice board on split.
- Fork left and go between the buildings, the basecamp is on the left and the parking is on the right. At night, a security light will activate.
The basecamp was purpose built some years ago to a high standard with three bedrooms (4, 6 and 6), two washrooms, a lounge and a kitchen/dining room, with open fire as well as central heating. The kitchen, as a lower level is fully equipped with electric cooker, microwave, and fridge/freezer.
The basecamp is next to the Warden’s house but otherwise is in the extensive wooded hills to the South of Dorking.
Link to NT website for leaflet on the bunkhouse.